Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What a Week.

The past few days have been ALL over the place. There's been poor communication, lots of stress, and crazy stuff all over the place. Not my idea of a good time, but I know that it is all helping me to grow and form into a better version of myself.

But through all of this I try to remember who I'm here for and the incredible people that I get to serve and be surrounded by everyday. So, here is a list of things that have made me happy, or realize why I am here over the past week.

1. We had an incredible group of volunteers last week who reminded me of my fraternity boys and knew how to play Euchre.

2. I watched a work crew of volunteers say goodbye to the family they had served and it was such an incredible moment. It was a true testament that serving brings you close to those whom you serve. There were tears and such gratitude on both sides, it helped me to remember how blessed I am to be a part of this work.

3. Got to start a garden with Carly on Sunday, which is incredible. But while we were digging, hammering, etc., a woman pulled her car over just to thank us for the work that we are doing in the county. She had tears in her eyes as she spoke of all the pain and suffering in Wyoming County, and how she knew that we had made a choice to move down here to make a difference and to instill hope. It was true affirmation to have a complete stranger stop her car just to thank us, though we've never fixed her home, and will probably never run into her again.

This is before I broke my shovel...

4. I love my siblings. I got to Skype with Mason on Sunday night and it was so great to talk to my baby brother, who isn't really a baby anymore. He always stuns me with his "wise beyond his years" wisdom. He reminded me that life isn't always going to be perfect, to stay positive, and love the life that I have. This chat also include a lot of laughs and Anchorman quotes (of course!). It was exactly what I needed.

 Isn't he so handsome?



5. I have an incredibly wise mother. She gives the best advice on how to handle any given situation, even if that's not the way that I wanted to go about whatever problem. I took her advice this week, along with another of my roommates and it went over way better than if I would have gone about everything my way.

6. I love spending time with my roommates, any of them. It's always fun, lighthearted, and uplifting. Carly and I are extremely alike in about a thousand ways, so it gets a little scary sometimes, but at least we have each other to laugh at our jokes. Nicki is an incredible soul, who is actually a misplaced hippie just looking for her forest and yurt. While Mary has the energy enough for 100 five year-old kids, with ADD, which is a VERY good thing. She actually makes us be social in life when we think we want to sleep.

Who wouldn't want to bond with this group of crazy hellions?


7. In January I found this County Info Day thing at the Capitol and registered our Center for it. Carly and I are going on Monday and I cannot express my excitement. It will be a great day to talk to WV politicians about ASP and the work that we are doing in Wyoming County.

Can't wait to spend Monday and the long drive to and from K-zoo with this girl!

8. THEN, three days later, I get to head back to Kalamazoo for an Easter Break. I cannot wait to go home, be in the land of cell phone reception, and to be with my friends and grandparents. It will be great to get a break and to be able to spend some much needed time with some of the most uplifting people in my life.

9. I get to help my best friend in the whole entire world go wedding dress shopping while I'm home. It's a terrifying, yet exciting, thing. I cried when she tried her first one on in December. Hopefully I can keep my composure during this outing. :)

Well, that's my life. The good, the struggles (kind of), and the joys that my life happens to be filled with. It's really hard to let the negatives get you down when you are surrounded by gorgeous scenery, amazing community contacts, volunteers, and families to serve. It's always incredible to know that I have a family that loves me (and misses me), along with friends who haven't forgotten about me entirely. ;)

Some videos to brighten YOUR day:
I love Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Leavitt, plus this song is so up tempo.

One of my favorite 90s Bands redoing their most favorite song better than the original.

And finally, a video to make you laugh. Poor brother can't be a single lady :(


Love, Blessings, and Rockets,

Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment